Summer is around the corner and some of us are already dreaming of the warm weather, cool drinks and long days.
But it is important to not forget about skincare as you go about enjoying your summer.
In today’s post, we are talking about 10 summer skincare tips for older adults.
Let’s dive right in.
10 summer skincare tips for older adults
- Remember to wear your sunscreen. Whatever you do, don’t leave the house without sunscreen on your skin. Doctors recommend that that use sunscreen that contains a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. Sunscreen that contain SPF protect your skin the ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun. UV rays are notorious for causing certain types of skin cancers.
- Sunscreen is wonderful, but even then, it does not protect you 100% from the sun’s UV rays. Thus, it is important to also wear protective clothing. Make sure to have on hats and long sleeved (but airy) clothing.
- Put some extra sunscreen on those areas of your skin that are the most exposed-your arms, back and legs-are always worthy of extra care.
- As much as possible stay out of the sun between 10am to 4pm. This is when the UV rays are the strongest. Staying out of the sun during this time helps with reducing your exposure to harmful rays.
- Drink more water! Drinking water is good for so many reasons. Because it is hot during the summer, it is easy to lose water from your body and become dehydrated. Dehydration has an effect on your skin. Drinking more water will keep your skin nice and hydrated all summer long. This is important because we lose more water and become more easily dehydrated as we get older.
- Use moisturizers that keep dry skin at bay.
- Use aloe vera to soothe sunburns. You wore the sunscreen and the protective clothing but how many of us know that even after all that, sometimes the sun still burns you? Well, if you do happen to experience a sunburn, aloe vera is great for soothing the pain. **Make sure to check with your doctor if you’re not allergic to aloe vera before you use it.
- Use a face mask to reduce oil build-up on your face.
- Exfoliate your skin to reduce pores so you can enjoy smooth skin all summer long!
- Don’t forget about your lips. A lot of people forget about their lips during the summer. But this area of your skin needs as much help as it can get during these months. A simple lip balm helps always.
And there you have it: 10 summer skincare tips so that you can enjoy the summer to the fullest.
If you enjoyed this post, share it with someone looking for skincare tips for the summer.